View the Gallery: (5 photos)
There was much carousing last night in Miami, as the three-day Art Basel fair officially kicked off in a glorious fashion. Here is the inside scoop as to what went down:
- Steve Martin read from his new book, "An Object of Beauty: A Novel," at the W Hotel South Beach.
- Jean-Georges Vongerichten cooked a dinner for VIP types - including Isabella Rossellini - at The Wolfsonian.
- Creative Time's "Oceanfront Nights" beach concert series kicked off with a free, energetic performance by Canadian indie pop band Metric.
- LCD Soundsystem played the Deitch/MoCA beach party at the Raleigh Hotel as Perry Farrell, Lance Armstrong, Peaches, Stavros Niarchos, Kenny Scharf, Shepard Fairey, André Balazs, Monique Lhullier, Nate Lowman and many, many more partied in the sand and sang along to "Drunk Girls."
- After which everyone headed to first night of Parisian nightlife guru André Saraiva's super-exclusive Le Baron pop-up club at the Delano's Florida Room. Lorenzo Martone, Daphne Guinness, photographers Danielle Levitt and Sante D'Orazio mingled as DJ Mia Moretti spun the tunes.
- PAPER + AOL present the opening of FriendsWithYou's "Rainbow City" installation with a big ol' concert featuring N.E.R.D. in the Design District.
- Bruce Weber is getting feted at The Standard, while highfalutin collector Aby Rosen is hosting is a super-exclusive dinner at the W Hotel. That will be followed up with an after-party for the kids hosted by art progenies Vito Schnabel and Stavros Niarchos.
- Wynwood Walls, Tony Goldman's street art mecca, is having a VIP reception in honor of this year's massive exhibition.
- OHWOW's Rafael de Cardenas-designed "It Ain't Fair" opens.
- Peaches is playing a "laser show" at a Bally party at the Moore Building.